Who Are Associates?
Friends of Nano are all those people who are inspired by the charism of Nano. Some are friends of Nano as vowed religious, some friends are associates, co-workers, partners in mission and colleagues. Over the past number of years there has been a growing associate movement within some provinces of the Congregation.
Associates are friends of Nano, attracted and fired with the charism and Spirit of Nano who feel called to make a commitment to live this out in their personal and professional lives. The Associate movement today is a work of the Spirit who invites it’s members to an ever deeper living of the Christian life and empowers them to participate in the Presentation Mission.
Associate membership is for those who seek to share in the charism, spirituality and mission of Nano Nagle and its lived expression in our world today. Associate groups are in partnership with the vowed members of the Presentation Congregation in a relationship of equality and interdependence. Associates recognize the importance of on-going dialogue and discernment in the growth of the movement. Together with the sisters, associates share dreams and goals, vision and values and together find a way to be of service to our brothers and sisters, especially to those who are on the margins of our societies.
What is involved in being an Associate?
Regular contact with the local co-coordinator, Associate group and local Presentation Community and congregation. This may take several forms:
- through meetings, shared prayer, Eucharist, common ministries, participation in congregational events and informal gatherings
- through reading, reflection and sharing on Scripture texts - especially the Gospel - so that God's Word may nourish our lives
- through reading, reflection and sharing on the Charism, Spirituality and Mission of Nano Nagle and the Presentation Sisters
- through a creative study of "our story" i.e. the historical development of the congregation from its early beginnings up to the present day which provides an invaluable source of inspiration
- through seeking to model ourselves on Jesus, Mary and Nano and to live as they did from an Action-Reflection-Action based spirituality;
- through solidarity and/or engagement with the poor and needy, the marginalised or through justice or envireonmental issues
Associates may link with Presentation Sisters with regard to the above or they may network with any local, national or international initiatives that seek to bring about a better world.
Jesus began his universal mission by speaking to the people in the words of the prophet, Isaiah:
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has chosen me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to set free the oppressed and announce that the time has come when the Lord will save his people.
Presentation Sisters in response to the directives of Vatican 11, invited many lay people, women and men, to share with them the charism and ministry of their foundress, Nano Nagle. This new movement spread throughout the world whereever Presentation Sisters minister. Here in the United States, we the Union of Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, have groups of Associates in Arizona, California, Mississippi and Texas. We presently have approximately eighty committed Associates and about ten more in formation.
- Presentation Associates are not vowed religious but dedicated and enthusiastic lay people who aim to live and keep alive the charism and spirituality of Nano Nagle and openly share her vision with others.
- They meet periodically with their local “Link-Sister” for prayer, discussion and fellowship.
- They study the life, charism and vision of Nano Nagle.
- The Presentation Associate movement is a true breath of the Spirit, calling them to a new sense of co-responsibility of our Presentation mission: “Doing justice in the way of Jesus”.
For more information about Friends of Nano/Associates contact Sister@pbvmunion.org